Thursday 5 May 2011

The Drumlandrig Sportive

By Colin Meikle


The Drumlandrig Sportive is set in the glorious scenery and traffic free roads around Drumlanrig Castle in the Southern Uplands. The organizers have changed the route slightly  over the years in fact I don’t think there have been 2 the same, In it’s current format you can choose a 62 mile or 38 mile loop or you can do both to give you a 100 miles. If you choose to do the 100 miles the unique thing about this ride is you finish the first loop back at the start and the clock stops, so you can take a leisurely lunch (I’m not really sure that’s a good thing!)

The sun was shining and I met Andy Wilson at the start, it was cool  but warming up nicely, so a day for the short sleeved shirts we though. After the usual deliberation of what to take in your pockets we lined up to start and we off about 9.00AM

Now I’m not normally a superstitious person, I’ll happily walk under a ladder and I wouldn’t fret over a cracked mirror but I do believe if you mention the word Punct*** you’ll get one in fact it’s worse than that as they come in threes. I’d been checking my bike over on Friday and noticed the rear tyre was wearing a little thin, I’d not had a punct*** for a long time so I thought I was riding my luck with the thin tyres. So I changed it over to a brand new one. No need to worry about punct***s I said to the wife as I packed up and immediately wished I hadn’t

Anyway we had gone about a mile when  I hit a pot hole, I seen the pot hole, the organizers had painted round it with yellow paint ( I must admit filling it may had been a better option). By the time I’d realized why someone had painted yellow circles on the road it was too late, I’d punctured. I got if fixed pretty quickly but by that time everyone was long gone and the next group has also passed. I pressed on trying to catch a group, I finally caught sight of people on the first major climb, Tynron Hill  and half way up I spotted Andy.   Tynron Hill  is a tough hill it’s very steep and the surface is terrible, there was already a line of people pushing as I wound my way up. By the time I reached the top Andy was on his way down. The descent into Penpont is a dangerous one, it’s a steep straight hill but for the unwary there is a 90 bend onto a main road at the bottom. I caught Andy at the bottom and we cycled along together for a good few miles. When we started to climb again I left Andy and went on alone I got in a few small groups but nothing really lasted. We were now out in open moorland, the scenery in the sunshine was fantastic but wind was getting strong and with no shelter it was hard work, you were either into the wind or getting buffeted by strong crosswinds. 25 miles gone we approached Dalry when another puncture. I got it fixed but I was now out of tubes and we are on 25 miles in! However Andy arrived and gave me one of his spares which was very kind of him. So I was off chasing again keen to make up lost time but the wind was now a major battle it was head on and energy zapping. I joined a small group of other riders and we worked together, it was hard work in the wind but the shared effort was worth it to keep the speed up. We finally turned on to small gravel roads again and the group broke up.  20 miles from the end of the first loop I hit another pot hole and the third puncture of the morning. I’d now used Andy’s spare but one of the marshals stopped with a track pump which allowed me to get my tyre fully inflated. I was happy now I’d had my 3 punct***s and my tyre was properly pumped up so I’d be OK now (and I was). It was pretty fast back to the start however  I’d forgotten there was one final climb but with lunch in sight I didn’t mind.

Back at the start the sun was out and there were ample sandwiches and cakes. I was nice relaxing in the sun and I still felt good, it was tempting just to pack up and not start again. I didn’t want a repeat of the morning punctures so I stocked up with the spare tubes and pumped the tyres up to 120psi.. I met Andy but he was only doing the morning loop so finally I thought I’d better start the second loop. In the “start pen” I was the only one starting. Looking around there was still a lot of people I guess many of them decided to call it a day, Off I went alone and that’s how it stayed till I finished. The first section of the afternoon was on some rough roads, the extra air in my tyres helped with the punct***s but I could feel every grain of sand I went over never mind the stones and holes. Finally I turned onto the main road  and onto the Mennock Pass. I was now wishing I’d not started the afternoon loop, the wind going up the Mennock was incredible and I battled just to keep the bike moving forward, the climb was never ending at such a slow pace, even when over the top I still had to peddle down hill! Finally after what seemed like and endless afternoon I reached Elvanfoot, I knew then that the wind would be at my back and most of the remaining 16 miles. Long spells at 30mph+ and I was finally back at the start.
The scenery was spectacular in the sunshine but the wind made it very hard going but still a great day, even the puct***s didn’t spoil the day.
Just remember never mention that word and always carry 3 spares!

Tynron Hill  very steep an not in good condition!



No comments:

Post a Comment