Sunday 24 April 2011

Sportive Kinross Report


                                                        Fife is not as flat as I thought

I spotted this event in the Autumn of last year and thought it would make a good early season ride. To my amazement when I tried to sign up for it late in 2010 it was full, which was surprising since the event had never ran before,  I guess it must of caught the imagination of the local riders. I got a place on the waiting list and in January I received an email saying I’d got a place.


The event offered 3 routes, the Blue route - an easy 44 miles  , the Red route a flatish 79 miles  or the Black route a hilly 87 miles. I signed up for the Black route, even though it was billed as  a hilly route I thought Fife was pretty flat so it couldn’t be that bad could it?

The Friday before the even was a scorching hot day and I was worried it would be a bit too hot, so I packed my short sleeved shirts and light shorts I didn’t give the wet weather gear a second thought, something I’d later regret. I got up early on Saturday morning, it was damp and overcast but I thought it would brighten up before I reached Kinross. I put on a liberal coating of sun cream and set off.  It was 14 C when I left Strathaven by the time I reach Kinross it was a miserable 8 C. As soon as I stepped out the car I was back in to see what extra cloths I could find, luckily I’d picked up my St Chris Jacket before leaving the house and I found a pair of 2/3 length tights in the back of the car (I’m not sure they had been though the wash but they’d need to do).

It was a rolling start you could start between 8.30 and 9.30. By the time I’d signed on there was a queue of  several hundred riders waiting to start, I guess everyone thought 8.30 was a good time to start. I slipped in near the front and waited to start, unfortunately there was an accident on one of the roads we were using and the police made us wait until it was cleared so there was a fair bit of waiting about in the cold. Eventually we were off, set off in groups of 10 riders ( so I was glad I’d slipped in near the front).

I looked for a group to join but most people seemed to be taking it easy so I just pushed on alone. After about 10miles we hit the Lomond hills, my legs were fresh so it wasn’t too difficult , however the sun was starting to burn through the cloud as we climbed and I  wished I hadn’t put on the extra layers. However the fast descent was cold and I was glad of the Jacket to keep me warm. The next section through Falkland and Freuchie was flat and fast, there were marshals at most of the junctions so it was easy to find your way and you didn’t need to slow, Police motorcyclists also patrolled the route. The Police didn’t really assist in any way and I found they got in the way at junctions. I think their presence was to make sure the cyclists behaved rather than to assist.  The local community had really got behind the event there were people out tocheers us though the villages, some waving flags, which was really nice. With the fast pace, police outriders and cheering crowds you could imagine you were a pro.

The next 15 miles were fast, I joined up with another rider and we made an effective 2up sharing the work and keeping the speed high . I did worry we were overcooking it a bit going so hard so early but it was fun eating up the miles at such a pace. Because of the fast pace first food stop came a bit early, I needed to stop for water but my partner pushed on, I was tempted to to the same but I only had one water bottle and I didn’t know when the next stop was. What a food stop!  I’ve never seen such an array of food and cakes, It seamed a shame not to take full advantage but I only needed to top up my bottle. So I was quickly on my way again. After a few miles the flat roads ended and the hills started,  first with the Wicks o' Baiglie which was  a stiff climb, the weather had turned colder and a light rain had started, which I didn’t mind on the climb. The road for the 25 miles was a series of long hard climbs and treacherous descents, the road surface was not good with a lot of gravel, the light rain turned to heavy rain which made the descents almost as bad as the climbs, I didn't enjoy them at all. I was half way through the race soaked to the skin and pretty miserable. The field had thinned now and it felt a lonely road with no one in sight for long stretches. After the steepest and worst descent  of the day I reached Dunning for the second feed stop. It was a busy place, which was surprising after such a lonely ride but the Red and Black routes converged here so a good number of these people were from the other route. Amazingly after a few slices of cake I felt better and set off again for the longest climb of the day (5.5Km). Although it was long it wasn’t as steep as the earlier climbs I almost started to enjoy myself again but the rain was now torrential and I was frozen especially on the descents.   Finally we were back onto some fast roads but with so much standing water it was still treacherous and in places difficult to see. Finally the rain stopped and the last 5 miles were on flat main roads, the different routes merged here so there was a long line of cyclist stretched out as far as the eye could see. Flat out at 25mph I was able to speed past dozens of rides, which was great fun and a great end to a hard day.
Back at the finish line there was a meal (pasta, soup, filled rolls). My time was around 5.40 which I was pleased with.

I was taken by surprise how difficult the event was, I didn’t know Fife contained so may steep hills. I think because most of the hills were in the middle part of the course it made it feel worse. I can’t really comment on the scenery I didn’t see much of it in the rain, I’m sure on a clear day there would have been some fantastic views. However this was the best organized event I’ve ever attended. The route was well marked and there were marshals at every major junction, some of these folk must of stood four hours in the rain which couldn’t of been fun. The food stops were stocked with fantastic home baking and even a meal at the end! what more could you ask for.  Well perhaps better weather but that all the more reason to return next year. I’d recommend you look out for this one next year, if you don’t fancy the hills the Red route still gives a reasonable 77 Miles but less climbing.


This must of been near the start (my shoes and socks are still white, everything was a muddy grey at the end)

Stats: 87 miles, 5500 ft, Time 5.42 

1 comment:

  1. That's nice piece and great feedback for us at the Event HQ (I'm the Event Director). Really good to hear the public were out giving a cheer and wave that was one of the objectives, positive public involvement. We have learn't a lot from the event and blogs like this help that learning process. Well done and thanks for supporting the event.

    ReplyDelete